The Holy Scripture warns every follower of Jesus against been unequally yoked. From 2nd Corinthians.6:14-17, it says,
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
Although, Jesus that God should not take His people out of this world but rather, to keep them from evil. In a generation like ours, it is paramount for us to fully understand the context and concept of what is means for Christians not to be unequally yoked. If our targets are not to be better Christian daily, then we are on the wrong path.
What fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? First of all, we must understand clearly that there is a difference between fellowship and relationship. There could be relationship without fellowship, but there cannot be fellowship without relationship. For a better understanding, let me use an example. Suppose a man has a son, automatically (whether they both like it or not), a father-son relationship exists between the both of them. If the son travels to a far country and spends many years without communicating with his father, though the relationship still exists, yet there is no more fellowship.
When the Bible warns us against ungodly fellowship, it then means that we could be engaged in ungodly relationships, but we must not advance such a relationship to fellowship. Therefore, may I say that fellowship is an advanced level of relationship. We might not be able to avoid unequal relationships because ungodly people are everywhere. Ungodly people are more in number than godly people. We find them in the market place, in school, in banks, in buses etc. In most cases, we do transactions with them. This means that we might not be able to have full control of our relationship.
SCENARIOS OF BEEN UNEQUALLY YOKED OR UNGODLY FELLOWSHIP
I want to say that there are some scenarios of ungodly fellowships or been unequally yoked together which every professing Christian must be wary of. These yokes cannot and will not make you, but they surely will mar you.
- Marriage: The most popular and common scenario of been unequally yoked is in marriage. Many churches and preachers emphasize the danger of unequal yoke. If there were no danger ahead, there will be no warning. Talking about marriage in Matthew.19:6, Jesus said “Wherefore they are no more twain but one flesh”. When God brought Eve to Adam, Adam said, “This is the flesh of my flesh and bone of my bone”. It is imperative to know that the man and the woman becomes one at marriage. Then how will it be when a child of God becomes one with a child of the devil. Get a clear picture of the scenario in your mind’s eye. As far as marriage is concerned, we all must avoid been unequally yoked together with unbelievers.
Many careless believers assume that when they marry an unbeliever, they will convert them later. It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for such to happen. Many people have lost their faith as a result of this kind of unequal yoke. Some might have not lost their salvation, but then Christianity becomes so difficult for them when they get involved in ungodly marriage. There is a difference between two unbelievers getting married, then one later gets converted and when a believer gets married to an unbeliever. Such marriage might appear sweet at first but on the long run, it leads to the way of death.
- Business Partners: The second scenario whereby unequal yoke should be fully avoided is in business. But then, may I clarify my point here. I do not mean to say that we should not do business with unbelievers. Once again, unbelievers are everywhere. We see them every time our eyes get opened. We buy from them and we make payments to them. But my point here is that we ought not to be business partners with them. For example, if I want to do business and I require partnership, it will be wrong for me to have an unbeliever as my friend. This is because chance are that avoidable problems might arise. Such problems as fund mismanagement, lack of sincerity, unruly attitudes and lots more. Therefore, in this case we must avoid unequal yoke with unbelievers.
- Advisers: Someone once said that when you have a problem and you take advice from an unbeliever, they will never ask you to pray, fast and seek the presence of God. Why will they even ask you to seek the presence of God when they know nothing about it? The wise man said in Proverbs.13:20, “He that walks with wise men shall be wise, but a companion of fools shall be destroyed”. In a bid to avoid unequal yoke, we must be mindful of the kind of advisers we keep around us.
- Been a Surety: The Bible in Proverbs.6:1-2 says, “My son, if thou be surety fir thy friend, if thou has stricken thy hand with a stranger. Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth”. Been a surety for an unbeliever must be fully abhorred, else our integrity and Christian virtue becomes tainted.
HOW TO OVERCOME UNEQUAL YOKE
Having said these few points, let me proceed to recommend few ways to overcome unequal yoke.
- Set your standard: For you to be able to overcome unequal yoke, you must set your standard high and clear. Make people know that you are a Christian in every environment you get to. That will curb the extent of temptations that comes your way. If you set your standard and you do not compromise it, people who come close to you will take caution. They will know what you allow and what you do not allow.
- Discernment: They next thing you ought to do is to possess the spirit of discernment. In our relationships with people, you will find out that human beings are so pretentious. As such, we might not know who is who. Therefore, we cannot do without the spirit of discernment. If you lack the spirit of discernment, ask the Lord and He will freely give you.
- Watch and Pray: Christ has called on the church to pray and watch always. The devil stops at nothing until he achieves his goal. Therefore, we must watch frequently that God may keep us from evil in this evil world.
- Know what the bible says per time: If we hide God’s in heart, it will hide us from sin. A time like this demands that God’s word reside fully in our hearts else, we will fall for almost every and anything.
In conclusion of this article, may our hearts be awakened to the fact that we must avoid unequal yoke. It was unequal yoke that destroyed the life and ministry of Samson. If you do not take caution, unequal yoke might also destroy you. Therefore, be wary and alert. If you have other recommendations and points, use the comment box below to share your idea.